Pages

Wednesday 4 February 2015

WiPpet Wednesday

It's fair to say I've done sod-all this week.

Well, no, that's not entirely true.  I've written 281 words.

I've fended off my depression plenty of times before but I've been feeling it gnawing at the edges of my consciousness and right now, on top of still being ill, I've not been able to deal with it.  I hate it.  I know it's there, a floating black cloud, but it makes me feel like a fraud on every level.  Not only does it remind me how incredibly futile everything I do is and how little any of it actually matters—and all the rest of it—but even feeling like that makes me feel like I shouldn't be feeling it.  That it's all just some massive ploy.  Despite the fact I think this is the first time I've actually written about it.

So every time I've sat down to write, I've ended up doing other stuff instead.  I've found a Commodore 64 emulator and have been playing digital versions of games we already have (without having to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour for the game to load) and am now significantly better at Flip & Flop than I was as a child—which isn't hard.  I've been reading, and the book I'm on is significantly better once I got past the first chapter.  And I've been practicing calligraphy and general dip pen work since I found that Rhodia notebooks work just as well with dip pens as they do with fountain pens.

Unfortunately, you can see the extent of my attention span perfectly right at the end there.  (Autumn Oak is the name of that ink and the lyrics are courtesy of a few FiXT artists.)

I guess I'll get over it eventually.

WiPpet Wednesday


WiPpet Wednesday is K.L. Schwengel's work-in-progress blog hop.  You can find other authors and sign up for yourself just here.

Well, it's the start of a new month.  Based on the abysmal performance above, you're getting another bit of The Rose Queen instead.

Generic maths.  It's the 4th February, so you're getting four unedited paragraphs from chapter 2, following hot on the heels of the last section.  (Basically, you're getting the stuff I enjoyed writing.)
“Before I go with you,” the Rose Queen said quietly, catching Fayth’s hand, “tell me why I should trust you.”
His touch was soft, his skin cool and smooth, and Fayth really wished that he could stop imagining what they’d feel like touching his chest, his hips, his—  He swallowed and carefully prised the Rose Queen’s fingers away.  “I can’t tell you that.  I can tell you that I’m Admiral Fayth, and I can tell you that it’s taken me a year to find you, but tell you why you should trust me?”  He quashed his rampant imagination and laughed.  “You’re probably better off not doing that.”
But dear God those eyes were amazing as they stared at him, weighing and assessing.  How could one man’s eyes be such an incredible colour?  When the Rose Queen nodded once, as much to himself as to Fayth, it took Fayth a moment to realise that he was agreeing.  Agreeing to go with him.
The return journey was going to feel like an age.
Poor Fayth.  Cursed with an overactive imagination. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm really curious about the whole backstory. Is that part of what you're working on, or will that have to come in the form of a prequel or something? Nice job. And I'm sorry about the depression. I hope things brighten for you before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Depression. Blech. My sympathies. :-( Nice calligraphy, though! You may not be writing much, but that's some impressive coping there.

    Admiral, huh? So it's a military thing? Now you have to add explosions. *grins* And now I really want to know what's up and why all the secrecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that sometimes I need to engage other creative pursuits...and I've always wanted to explore calligraphy.

    We had a Commodore 128. My favorite game was the text-only Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

    I'm liking the back-and-forth between Fayth and the Rose Queen. I've got this feeling that Fayth's imagination isn't off by so very much....hope, for his sake, that I'm right. I mean, we want our characters to suffer, but a long return journey might be torture! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really getting drawn into the dual/dance between these two.
    Depression is such a soul sucking beast. I have had bouts through my life but not to your extent. My daughter has just been diagnosed this week and I try to see her or talk to her every day. I feel helpless to help but keeping the contact there is so important. My heart goes out to you. Loved your calligraphy. Art does help I find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yeah. I'm totally shipping them. Love what I've read thus far! I do hope there's more. I love the back and forth, even with most of the tug (that we know of) in Fayth's mind. Chemistry, check! I want to know the backstory, too. For both of them. Loving this!

    Depression is indeed an evil gremlin that gnaws on circular logic. Feel bad for feeling bad, etc... Artistic peoples tend to be stuck with this ability to think (conceptually, in this case) and feel more than people in the fatter part of the bell curve (or so I've read, and yes, that's a simplified statement of course). The upside is that's where the art comes from, but sometimes I've almost wished the art away just to snag an elusive moment of blissful ignorance of any big pictures. Alas. This too shall pass. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Sending you supportive vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my. *fans self* This is a sizzling scene. Love the chemistry.

    You have much more of a flair for calligraphy than I do. I am sorry about your depression. :( I hope you can pull through. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!