Pages

Wednesday 11 February 2015

A Grand Chorus of Silence. Also, WiPpet Wednesday

First off, everyone, thank you all for the kind comments.  I'm really sorry I haven't replied, but (while it's no excuse) I was just much happier being able to enjoy all your successes on your blogs instead...  I promise I'll try to reply to them soon.

I've run into a slight problem.  Although the idea of actually writing still makes me queasy and brings me out in a cold sweat (never a good sign...), my characters are conspiring against me, and considering one of those characters is Fayth...  And although you've not met the other, though technically you should have and I just skirted over his initial introduction (but don't worry—not that anyone has been—when he becomes relevant I'm sure I'll find some obscure maths for his introduction), he's just spent half the week making his presence known in my head.

And it's not fair.  <insert echoing howl of fury here>

Actually, less of the fair, it's more frustrating.  This character was only supposed to be a footnote, a handy source of clothes, but turned up again in the third chapter and then insisted—after I finished chapter eight, obviously—that he needed a chapter to himself, and that obviously had to be a new chapter four.  And some other stuff.  And now he won't get the hell out my plot again.

Not to change the subject (however much it looks like it), but last year I bought Machinae Supremacy's brilliant concept album Phantom Shadow.  One of the songs, The Villain of this Story, inveigled its way into my head the other day without my even listening to it and I'd always thought it suited Corliss (the troublesome character), so I loaded it and all the actual song (not the exposition) tracks onto my music player.  And now he won't shut up.

Machinae Supremacy - Perfect Dark

Well, it's some of them, anyway
So while I've written a grand total of 0 since last week (technically -2 according to Scrivener, as I finally lost my temper with a couple of sentences and rejigged them despite swearing I'd only highlight and leave for later), Fayth and Corliss are presently engaged in working out how to deal with the situation they've been left with at the start of chapter twelve and what I want apparently doesn't matter at all.

Incidentally, Corliss decided that Perfect Dark suited him much better, so in order to give my hands something to do I spent a lot of time listening to it and then wrote out the lyrics using a mediƦval English style.  I might not have written fiction, but I'm at least improving on speed.  It only took maybe two hours... but at least I avoided typos.


WiPpet Wednesday


As always, much love and thanks to K. L. Schwengel who graciously hosts our work-in-progress blog hop.  If it looks fun, you can look at the other participants and sign up over here.

Today is the 11th February 2015, so I'm going to try to get a little creative here.  Or I'm going to butcher the date in order to get my own way, whichever way you prefer to think of it.  11 = 1+1 = 2.  2+2 = 4.  So for the 11th of the 2nd month, you're getting four paragraphs from chapter two.

This (as ever, unedited) section leads straight on from last week's, where Fayth found the Rose Queen and convinced him to leave with him.  Not that it's that easy, of course.

Fayth dropped his hand to the pocket not stuffed full with Matthew’s hackpad, nonchalantly withdrawing one of the metallic cords he’d brought for restraint purposes.  The sleeping guard in the cupboard was wearing half of his supply; he’d have to retrieve it before they left.  Assuming he had time.  He’d already spent longer here than he’d intended; they might be lazy, but they couldn’t be that blind.
Without a word, the Rose Queen held both wrists out to him, palms together.
He couldn’t help raising an eyebrow as he bound the cord around the thin joints, but the Rose Queen looked away, eyes hooded.  There’d be no answers forthcoming.  Suited Fayth just fine.  He wasn’t sure he wanted to ask the question.  Taking a firm—but not too firm, he saw how the Rose Queen was favouring his elbow—hold of his shoulder, Fayth led him towards the door while keeping an eye out for any curious crewmembers.  The habitat might look deserted, but it could easily mean that klaxons would sound and all hell would descend upon them the minute he led his quarry into the corridor.
Now the hackpad had an idea of what it was doing, it opened the door with a gentle hiss only a second after Fayth pressed it to the panel.  From the corner of his eye he could see the Rose Queen try to watch what he was doing without giving an outward appearance of interest; it would be comical if it didn’t seem quite so sad.  Then they were through and into the corridor, and Fayth realised that here was where the real difficulty began, because he’d be damned if he could remember his way back.
So y'know that sleeping guard?  Yeah.  Also, Matthew?  He'll become relevant too later.  He's another that likes to shoehorn his way into stories.

19 comments:

  1. Darn characters. They really do like to mess with things and insert themselves where they're not welcome. I recently had to yell, "Down, boy!" at one who insisted *he* was going to be the star of the show. I had to promise him his own story before he would shut up.

    Nice snippet. I like the interactions between these two. They both seem like they're trying a bit too hard to act sure of themselves. That could come back to haunt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now did you mean it when you promised him his own story, or did you do it to shut him up? ;) It's funny when they get demanding, isn't it? It doesn't seem to matter how old the character is, there's an element of the toddler-stamping-foot-in-frustration about them...

      I think that sums them both up right now. Fayth IS competent... mostly... but he's just so thrown right now he's struggling, and RQ's got no idea what's going on. Not, right now, the best combination of people...

      Delete
  2. Woops. Reminds me in a vague way of Princess Leia shouting, "You came in here without a plan for getting out!?!" :-P Slight memory fail, there. This is why I don't go on covert operations to rescue people anymore. I'm betting the next few pages will be miserable for Fayth and great fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'd forgotten that scene but it does seem to sum it up, doesn't it? Unfortunately for Fayth, I don't think he should really be going on this covert operation either right now. ;)

      Delete
  3. I had a character do that to me. Finally had to give her a whole book of her own! (You give them a chapter and they think they can boss you around...) :) your snippets are so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They're particularly evil for that, aren't they? It's not so bad with Corliss, but I had one character who was supposed to simply by a throwaway bad guy. He came back to kidnap the main character... he only really shut up when I gave him his own partner to "play" with, and he (well, they) promptly took over the whole canon and made it about them. *sigh*

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. I've definitely had minor characters who demanded a story of their own, so I know where you're coming from. Sometimes a character will surprise you that way. Good luck dealing with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps as their writers we need to crack the whip a little more, but unfortunately I think some of them might enjoy that a little too much...

      Thank you, and you too--I think we'll both need it! ;)

      Delete
  5. This Wednesday, you can meet Henry, who started out as a very incidental adult character, and became an adolescent boy, sometimes a hero, and the male lead! I couldn't resist him....still can't.

    I say, let it happen. Something good always comes, for me, from letting the ones who clamor and roar get their stories out -

    And T'Pol just started calmly stating, an hour ago, that I'll be writing a scene from her childhood this week.

    As for Fayth, and the Rose Queen - I sense trouble, on more than one front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are definitely the most interesting (and, dare I say it, fun) types of characters. I'm looking forwards to meeting him!

      Have you noticed that certain characters always become most vocal when you're writing something else entirely? I ignored one because I was busy with another project, and by the time I'd gotten around to writing it somehow the characters had worked out the whole (thankfully short) story between them. I felt a bit surplus to requirements...

      I do like T'Pol, I wish mine were quite so polite (and firm)!

      Oh, definitely... It doesn't seem like Fayth can keep out of it easily. :p

      Delete
  6. If you give a mouse a cookie....

    LOL characters are even worse! But admit it. It's a little fun when they start throwing words at you. ;-) Enjoy the ride! I love it when that happens. Of course then they inevitably lead me into writing just enough to get them solidly in trouble....and then shut up when it comes to everything after that. Sigh.

    I, for one, am looking forward to Fayth in trouble. I'm expecting hotness, though. Just so you know. *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely sympathise with that! Fayth and Corliss have done just that--given me just enough to finish chapter 11 and then clammed up totally. Great. Thanks, boys. You just get yourself into trouble and ditch me, why don't you...

      Well, it does maybe depend a little on your definition of hotness... There's some nakedness upcoming, but these two seem to bring just as much chaos with them as anything else...

      Delete
  7. Since this is the first time I've read anything from your WIP I must say I'm intrigued. I read it while listening to that song and it gave your work and extra dimension (despite Corliss not being in that scene). I really like the idea of releasing a playlist to go with your book for readers to go and listen to.
    I hope Fayth get's where he's going but my hunches tell me he is going to run into some trouble... Nice snippet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once sat and worked out a playlist for another project as part of a challenge in a writing community I sometimes post in, but I've never really sat down to think about one for this. I might give it a try, thank you for the suggestion! (Plus, designing covers is great for procrastination... ;) )

      Fayth is one of those people who "gets there eventually"... one way or the other. And sometimes with only minor damage!

      Delete
  8. Why don't characters behave? I mean, a guy goes for three chapters and in his fourth and final appearance he decides he needs a name. (Happened to me yesterday afternoon, stupid fruit merchant.) Can never satisfy a character, can you?

    Real nice excerpt. I hope he remembers the way out! Seems like an important thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three chapters seems to be about the limit before they decide they deserve more, isn't it? Did you cave in to your merchant and make him a fully-fledged cast member?

      You'd think it'd be important, but I'm starting to think that he's the kind where, if in doubt, just point yourself in one direction, keep going and simply *hope*... (Not ideal for a thief really, is it? Eheh...)

      Delete
    2. I have a list of names (by gender) for last minute people. I ended up giving him Trond. :) I also named the vinegar selling girl and the owner of a donkey at that time. In for a penny, in for naming everyone in the village. ;)

      Delete
  9. Aah, yes, characters. I had one of those. Was supposed to have a walk-on role just to provide some underlying tension. Wound up with his own POV and a recurring role. *sigh* Who am I to argue.

    Fayth's dilemma is like those times you disassemble something to see if you can fix it, then realize you're not quite certain how it goes back together. Perhaps the Rose Queen can help?? If not, where's the dang GPS? ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem remarkably talented at getting their own way, don't they? And who are we to argue? *grins*

      Actually, I can see him being the kind of person who would disassemble things and then realise he can't reassemble them! The kind where it seems like a good idea at the time... And you'd think he'd be prepared enough to bring a GPS, but sadly I don't think the thought ever even crossed his mind! Breaking into locked rooms, yes; finding his way back? Nooope...

      Delete

Comments always welcome!