Pages

Friday 25 April 2014

No-Nonsense Reviews - First There Wasn't, Then There Was by Troy Blackford

Pros
+ Brilliantly written and difficult to put down
+ Gripping story
+ Unexpectedly emotional

YMMV
+/- Near-impossible to categorise

To be honest, this is the most difficult book I've ever tried to review or describe.  It's just... so different, and that's not a bad thing.  It's just a little awkward in this situation, because many parts of it that make it so remarkable would be giving away spoilers.

It's well written and very difficult to put down once you've started it, but as it's quite short it's a two or three hour read.  The story flits from the present to the past, but the interruptions are well done and although I was a bit dubious about the modern-day office boys to begin with, they grew on me and shared my sense of "wait, I want to know what happens!"  Each chapter is masterfully finished, which only compounded the issue of "can't put it down!"

At one point, I was a bit confused to find myself crying at it.

I'm not sure whether it's a supernatural story, or a metaphysical one, or a metaphor for something and to be honest, I don't really care. (Although for me, I liked to take it at face value as a supernatural story.)

It's a bloody good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!