Pages

Monday 6 July 2015

Ready, Set, WRITE! - Week Five



Ready, Set, WRITE! is a summer writing challenge hosted by Erin L. FunkAlison MillerKaty UppermanJaime Morrow and Elodie Nowodazkij as a way to encourage participants to get going on their projects and to help keep us accountable.  We share brief updates every Monday so as not to interrupt writing time with blogging.  You can find out more here or check out others' updates over at the hosts' blogs.


1. How I did on last week’s goal(s)


Dear gods.  That's... really all I can say.  I failed on every single target: instead of at least 3k, I managed 1,437—I know it's 1,437 I didn't have before, but I'm still disappointed in myself—I still haven't finished G is for Gabrys, I've not touched RoK at all and, insult to injury, I'm only on page 136 of Ace of Skulls.

So that's a total fail.

2. My goal(s) for this week


Well...  I'd actually forgotten until it was on me that I'd decided to do Camp NaNo and, worse, I was going to handwrite it.  There's three of us doing it so it's not just me who's taken leave of their senses, but you'd have thought I'd remember, right?

So my goal is to basically manage at least 2,000 words, all handwritten, on this new project.  I'd also ideally like to discover the plot.


3. A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised


“Where’s the thing?”
“What thing?”
If Ais thought he couldn’t see through his false innocence, he really didn’t know Lirio at all. “The thing,” he said drily, “that got you half beaten to a pulp.  That thing.”
“That’s the, er, thing.  As I was trying to explain to those nice gentlemen just now, I don’t have the thing.  I am distinctly without thing.”
“You’re distinctly without something, that’s for sure.”  Lirio pressed his thumb and forefinger to his temples and failed to suppress a sigh.  “Apparently that thing is a sense of preservation.”

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week


Shortly before the start of last week, my work schedule suddenly had a bunch more hours on it and several shifts rearranged.  The upshot was that I finished up with 40 hours, starting at 6:30am most mornings, and some very unpleasant shifts too (that aren't the 6:30 ones, which I do actually enjoy aside from the 6:30 thing).  What time I've had left for writing has been mostly spent trying not to think about work, and Saturday was spent in the city with friends.

5. Something I love about my WIP


There appears to be a sense of humour in this new project.  I'm not sure where it came from, or why once I start handwriting people become more sarcastic, but it's amusing me...

Also, I seem to keep ending up writing "Ais' face" or variations thereon without realising it, which probably shouldn't be as funny as I'm finding it.

14 comments:

  1. Love the sense of humor in the excerpt. Don't worry about missed goals. This summer seems to be nasty in the time area. But here's hoping this next week plays out better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely proving awkward, yes, but it seems to have worked out for the best--this week, at least. :)

      Delete
  2. Love your shared excerpt! Made me laugh :). It sounds like you've got a lot going on, but I hope you can make the time to write more--love your characters already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, thank you! :) I'm enjoying them a lot too, which is a bit of a relief because I had no idea what they'd be like when I started writing...!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Tonja: love the sense of humour in the excerpt you shared. :-) This past week was all about missed goals for me too. I'm feeling disappointed in myself as well. Hope this week is a lot more productive for both of us. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you do too. :) As Prerna says though, we shouldn't feel too disappointed in ourselves, we've still accomplished a little more than we would have done. :)

      Delete
  4. Your excerpt made me laugh! Good luck on meeting your goals this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad. :) Thank you, and good luck to you too!

      Delete
  5. Love the excerpt! Definitely a sense of humor there :) And cheering you on for this week! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you, I think it helped. :)

      Delete
  6. "I am distinctly without thing"....

    LOVE! Yes, I can see how the sense of humor that has snuck in is making the story more enjoyable. Just as long as it fits the story overall, that is just too perfect in snippet form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turns out Ais is a big dumb puppy for whom speaking like that is apparently quite normal, so it looks like there might be a few more of those sorts of comments at some point... :)

      Delete
  7. Your week sounds busy. Getting 1500 words in is still awesome considering everything that was going against you. I love that you're handwriting your Camp NaNo project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, both it and this last week were distinctly un-fun when it came to time... Thank you for the reminder, despite my disappointment is is still more than I had. :) Handwriting it is proving to be a lot of fun, despite the fact my handwriting itself is awful. *grins*

      Delete

Comments always welcome!