Pages

Wednesday 3 December 2014

The Fair Automaton (Cyber ... Wednesday?)

Have to say I like the sound of Cyber Wednesday.  Sounds like a character.  Hmmm...

A couple of days late, I know, but arguably better late than never, I've finished the files and am releasing The Fair Automaton as a short story into the world.

Until Sunday, that is.

Yep, it's a Cyber Week(ish) Freebie in honour of the UK's busiest shopping day -- which I missed, and did no online shopping on anyway -- mostly because it has a cool sci-fi sounding name that's always amused me.

You might remember this story as being painstakingly handwritten for National Stationery Week -- or you may not, because over 10 pages of my handwriting is enough to make anyone run for the hills.

It's been repackaged as a digital short story in a variety of formats, and these files will be available until Sunday, wherein I'll take them down again and whatever happens to them in the future is in the lap of the gods.  Or, indeed, myself, when I eventually get enough stories written to release as a collection.  But still.  Until Sunday.

Imagine it being said in a booming voice.

The Fair Automaton



The day the travelling fair rolls into town, North is determined to show his boyfriend Seith all he loves about it.  But while Seith's reaction isn't what North hoped for, he finds something amazing to attract him instead: a speaking, smiling mechanical man — an automaton.

Despite Seith's disdain, North can't help returning time and again to discover more of the machine's personality — and uncover more of its secrets.  It's not long before he finds himself becoming fond of it, but it's all perfectly harmless, right?

Until the machine breaks down, and North is blamed for it.  Is discovery of the machine's ultimate secret worth the cost of the personality North loves?

This freebie is no longer available.

2 comments:

  1. Aww. lol.. Thank you so much for this freebie though!

    ahah.. I totally went to my black friday and ... you know, I see all these crazy people on TV/YouTube but my stores aren't as crazy as those.. nothing crazy like that ever happens....
    well.... there are arguments from people that simply HAVE TO have things go their way and are too butt hurt to just say "Oh, well, I missed it" and they argue and yell at the managers and stuff. LOL

    Anyways, Thank you so much again for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :)

      You wouldn't be able to even crowbar me out the house on Black Friday. In my city it was apparently quiet and well-behaved but what I saw on the national news in London was pretty terrifying, lots of shoving and trampling... so I think it was brave of you to go even if it was quiet! Did you see many arguments like that, then, even if there was no pushing and shoving?

      Delete

Comments always welcome!