Pages

Friday 16 May 2014

No-Nonsense Reviews - Objects in the Rearview Mirror by F. E. Feeley Jr.

Pros
+ Intriguing, moving story
+ Relatable characters
+ Emotive subject

YMMV
+/- Some references to earlier times in characters' relationship are never expanded on

Cons
- The writing reads a little oddly in places
- The last part of the epilogue felt superfluous

I remember vaguely reading an effusive comment about this book that prompted me to go and check it out on Amazon and, curious, I bought it, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

What I got was a surprisingly touching paranormal tale about a haunted house and a loving couple, and I absolutely could not stop reading it.  The characters felt real and spoke in a convincingly human way to each other and to friends in the story, and I really rooted for both their relationship and their sanities to remain intact.  The plot itself is intriguing, although very different from how I'd expected after the prologue, and although I kind of saw the end coming, I didn't expect its execution, which was pleasant.  Even the moral (there is one but it doesn't get in the way, I promise) is good—and is well worth remembering.

It's only when I added it to my Goodreads read list that I discovered that this is actually book #2 in the author's "Memoirs of the Human Wraiths" series, but it reads nicely as a standalone novel.  Although I marked the final paragraph of the epilogue as a 'con', I'm not sure if it may actually relate to the first book (which I'll very likely pick up now), or if it'll become relevant further along in the series, but as it is, it just feels a bit redundant and nonsensical.

Also, I don't often comment on covers, mostly because I barely notice them when they're Kindle novels, but the cover artwork is beautiful.

I've not seen that many new ghost stories (or maybe I'm not looking in the right place?), but it's nice to read a good (and genuinely creepy) example of the genre.  I'm really hoping that the author writes more!




Footnote: while I was reading this book, we discovered that the toilet paper in the downstairs loo had decided to empty itself onto the floor for no apparent reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!