Pages

Friday 14 March 2014

No-Nonsense Reviews - Blood Skies by Steven Montano

Pros
+ Interesting, likeable characters
+ A very different take on fantastical creatures
+ Emotive, clear description

YMMV
+/- Became very afraid of getting attached to characters very quickly

Cons
- Sometimes prone to repetition

I started reading Blood Skies, I have to admit, out of an urge to deal with the fact I have a ton of books on my Kindle, and I've read only a fraction of them.

However, it didn't take long for me to become hooked.  The story, after an initial moment of "what the hell is going on?" soon grabbed me and didn't put me down again until I'd finished.  I quickly grew fond of the likeable Eric Cross and his sister and, wanting to know more about them and the world they inhabited, didn't want to stop reading until I got to the bottom of what was happening to them.

The world was clearly described, to the point where I could imagine every scene and location in detail.  The only downside was that some facts and points were repeated after only a short time, probably to hammer home their importance but it instead gave me an odd feeling of déjà vu.  It wasn't enough to become a major detraction, but just enough to be a little irritating.  Maybe I'd have noticed it less if I'd not finished it in only a couple of sittings.

However the plot, pacing and ending were all more than satisfying; as soon as I finished it I ordered the second one and I'm looking forward to reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!